New Year’s Day is celebrated around the world.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, sponsors a Mummers Parade.
- In Armenia mothers knead bread dough, adding good luck into the bread.
- In the Bahamas they have Junkanoo parades.
- In Denmark people throw old dishes at their friends’ doors.
- Koreans wear new clothes.
- In Spain and Mexico, people eat twelve grapes, one for each stroke of the midnight clock.
- In Bulgaria children take decorated tree branches to other people’s homes. At each house the children bless the home and its occupants. The homeowners give the children sweets or money, and the children visit the next home.